Some schools are creating a dedicated PTO position for the Green Team. For those of you that may also be considering this new position, Wendy DeLuca, Green Team at Clay Middle School and member of Carmel Green Schools Committee provided a copy of the position description they will be using at Clay. Thanks to Wendy for putting this together. Please feel free to modify and adapt the description to meet your school’s needs. We welcome your input and suggestions.
PTO Board Position Title: Green Team Coordinator
The Board Member responsible for the Green Team shall:
- Be the coordinator for the school’s Green Team
- Attend all the CCS Green Team meetings
- Work with the CCS Green Team to come up with ideas to promote green practices and awareness in Carmel Clay Schools
- Work with the school’s staff, students and parents to adopt green practices in the school
- Act as coordinator for any green projects within the school initiated by the school’s Green Team
- Submit articles for school newsletter with updates/tips from the CCS Green Team website
To the PTO Executive Board,
Please consider adding a Green Team to our school’s PTO. This committee would engage in approved activities that help our schools to become more sustainable and involve students and families in learning how to be better stewards of our resources. Activities could include but are not limited to the following:
- School Recycling – Working with our school to incorporate mixed recycling into the classrooms and eventually into the lunchroom.
- November 15 – America Recycles Day – offer teachers a pre-approved packet of activities and lessons revolving around the importance of reducing, reusing, and recycling. Coordinate with student groups (student council, art classes, or student club) to decorate the hallways with themed posters and deliver daily announcements.
- Earth Week – offer teachers a pre-approved packet of activities and lessons revolving around care for the Earth. Coordinate with student groups to decorate the hallways with themed posters and deliver daily announcements. Last year, Earth Week involved a clean-up event and district-wide art contest as well. Some schools had poster and poetry contests. Some student groups planted or gave away trees.
- A student club led by parents, teachers, or both. Clubs throughout the district have created bulletin boards and displays to share how to take care of the planet. See website for ideas!
- Any additional new projects that meet school administration (principal and administrative green team) approval are welcome.
We understand that this committee’s coordinators must okay all activities with the principal.
Each month, there is a meeting where all Carmel Clay School Green Team PTO representatives have the opportunity to meet and coordinate events. This gives everyone interested in instituting more green initiatives at their school a chance to see what other schools are doing, what works, and what doesn’t.
These are optional meetings, but all are welcome. The meeting dates are listed under the Event tab.